Sunday, November 20, 2011

trashed-browns

It took me two hours to make breakfast this morning....
Not because I was concocting anything particularly difficult ( I pressed go on my cuisanart a few times.) but I was rather overwhelmed by the options in front of me.... raw root vegetables falling from the fridge, leftover popcorn and salsa and empty bottles littering the counters.

Quickly ruled out the popcorn and booze... Don't get me wrong, last night's popcorn for dinner really hit the spot. Unfortunately the manhattans hit me harder.

I was determined to eat a real meal.

I now understand my neighborhood's obsession with going out for brunch. If you party with these kids the night before, you need someone else to make you crazy potatoes and scramble the next day. It just really isn't productive to try it yourself. 

Alas, I do not fall into the category that can afford a twelve dollar meal, that may or may not make me feel worse.
So in my foggy stupor, I decided to battle breakfast...
Overwhelmed by the contents of the refrigerator and the absurd meals I'd had in the past 24 hours (cookie, slice of pizza, an apple, and popcorn= dinner, breakfast, lunch dinner),

I needed something that didn't come from cardboard box or taste like the cardboard box....

I pulled down the cuisanart and started shredding root vegetables. I'd made some tasty Autumn Latkes a while ago, which was my inspiration for this potato-y treat I am now calling trashed-browns.

 
Trashed browns & chard tofu scramble, covered in nooch sauce.



Trashed Browns

  • 1-2 sweet potato, shredded
  • 3 Beets, golden or red or both, shredded
  • 3 medium carrots,shredded
  • 2 russet potatoes, shredded
  • 1 yellow onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp salt
  • several dashes freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tsp fennel seeds, chopped finely
  • 2 tbls to 1/4 cup water
Get your cuisinart ready! Coffee in hand!

Preheat oven to 425F

Shred beets, carrots and potatoes and then mix together in a very large bowl. Add minced onion, flour, cornstarch, salt and fennel. Mix until all veggies are coated evenly. Add water tablespoon by tablespoon until flour is somewhat disolved.

Lightly oil two large baking sheets, spread potato mixture evenly on sheets.
Lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with coarse salt and some pepper.

Place on middle rack in preheated oven. Cook for 15 minutes, or until tops start to brown. Flip potatoes over and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes until desired crispiness is reached.

Taste for salt and pepper.

VOILA!

1 comment:

  1. Argh! Your post is just a day late! I too was staring at root vegetables and at a loss at what to cook with parsnips and beets. I'm already over root veggies this season thanks to our CSA box. I ended up making roasted veggie broth and freezing it for a later date. These sound really good! I'll try this the next time I have roots to deal with.

    ReplyDelete