Monday, November 21, 2011

festive frosting fail

Frosting has never been my strong suit.
Actually cookies in general... never been my specialty...
I forget key things... like ingrediants or mixing properly, never something so stupid as sugar... twoops...

Tonight my cookies turned out fabulously! (see recipe below) They were my first stab at sugar cookies and I am delighted by their rollability and cuttability (those are technical cookie-master words)

If you haven't picked it up, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the holiday season. In my extra festive state, I decided to hand cut my cookies into turkeys. These guys are waiting to go into the oven....

 
But it was after this festive frenzy that I let the food coloring and frosting get the best of me.

ORANGE!

Please note the ghetto cookies behind my orange hand. I thought that perhaps if I added more color to these orange and brown frostings disasters, they would be more festive and less frightening... did I mention I was making these to welcome our new neighbors?

Still with an abundance of dough, i tried my hands at letters...

My lovely roommate found my absurd cookies adorable and totally neighbor worthy... still debatable but I presented them with this plate of treats. Or rather I awkwardly left them in the common room with a note that says "heres a ghetto treat..." I am undoubtedly the most awkward, yet cheery person you will encounter...
Made with love...


So happy Turkey day to all.

Oh and if my story scared you off too much, the cookies tasted good, as did the frosting, my presentation is just lacking..



Vegan Sugar Cookies
 (an adaptation of this tasty non-vegan recipe )

  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup vegan buttery spread, I prefer earth balance flax spread
  • 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
Sift together flours, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. Using a hand mixer cream together sugar and butter, till light and fluffy. Add vanilla and almond milk.
Beat  flour into sugar mixture cup by cup, until smooth.

Lightly flour a 4 large sheets of plastic wrap. Divide dough into two mounds. Place one mound on one sheet and cover with another. Using a rolling pin to flatten the dough between the two sheets. Roll dough into log and place in fridge for one hour. Repeat with other half.

Preheat oven  to 375
After dough is firm until roll into sheets.
Cut dough into circles -- or turkeys!-- and place on lightly oiled cookie sheets.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are golden. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.

Festive Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Optional
    • 1 tsp cocoa powder
    • food colorings
Beat together margarine and butter  till creamy and smooth. Add sugar cup by cup until fluffy and thick. Voila buttercream...

I separated out 1 cup of the frosting and mixed in cocoa powder for turkey bodies.
Also made messy messy bags of colored frosting by adding 1/2 cup of frosting to a ziploc with a couple drops of food coloring (please refer back to orange hands).



No comments:

Post a Comment