Sunday, November 27, 2011

gobble gobble hangover

So much starch.
Ouch.

I had a delightful thanksgiving with the fam. The cooking was more of a group effort this year, because my poor mother, much to her dismay, had major surgery a week before. She begrudgingly handed over the cooking to my sibs, dad and me. 

Our family has some pretty amazing chefs, so dinners are typically delightful. Though apparently we were all inspired by the potato... My aunt made traditional candied sweet potatoes, K/A conjurred up some creamy mashed potatoes, and I threw together mashed spicy, gingered, red garnet yams and apples. Delicious, but needless to say, I am potatoed out. 
My tofurkey turned out the best this year. I really can't follow recipes very well, but whatever I did this year made it way tastier. I updated the tofurkey recipe post to reflect what I might have done... 

But here is a very vegan thanksgiving....

This being the first year, in many moons, I have been home for pie bake.. I went a little crazy and made three.

My awesome nephew Cam acted as my sous chef for pie time. He peeled apples and stirred caramel and did it all with a smile... amazing.


The first is a Curried Macaroon Pie (from Vegan Pie in the Sky), with gingerbread crust. This is the spiciest pie... Cam and I eyeballed the curry measurement and while it is super tasty... I think we accidently doubled it... twoops. Rich, good in very small quantities...

 Traditional Basil Peach Pie. 
I've developed a reputation in my family of taking perfectly normal things and adding all sorts of things so they are less normal. I call it improvement... oh well. The basil is actually a really cool addition to this, not over powering in the slightest, just a nice note.

Apple-Cranberry Galette
Overwhelming favorite of my Dad and baby Jack. 
Traditional, not too sweet and really pretty easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment