Monday, January 9, 2012

Upside Down or Paleowaht?

Well, I feel as if my kitchen  whole world has been turned upside down.

As I announced earlier, I started incorporating less-than-vegan options into my diet for health reasons, which to some may seem backassward, but such is life.


















I've done some egg experimentation (or eggpermentation... badum psh) , ate some chat-fish (that's for you suz), mingled with some shrimp and taken on a fairly lactose intolerant pescatarian approach to dining. Admittedly (and I'm sorry hard-core vegs), I've enjoyed it. I feel better. A LOT better.

BUT NOW, of course. Its going to get more complicated. Why, you ask? Because, it is me. And I am complicated.  Enjoy it.

For the next 44 days, my writing will take a detour from the typical vegan delights and will chronicle a new crazy journey....

My fantastic workout family at Portland Fitbody Bootcamp  kicking 2012 off with a New Year's Revolution, a six-week fitness transformation challenge. Not like I'm competitive or anything... I just want to say I plan on winning ;)
Not only does the challenge encompass the booty kickin workout five days a week I've learned to love, but also a whole-food diet challenge i.e. PALEO.

---Quick breakdown for those unaware check out Paleo Plan. They outline what to and what not to eat. There is some debate around coffee, booze, and dairy. But basically, from what I understand. Meat, veggies, fruit = good. Everything else (processed foods, beans, grains, sugar) =bad. ----



Now, I have to say. I am SUPER skeptical of paleo. But in my defense its the same skepticism I have of strict vegan diets. Villanizing food groups, grains in the case of Paleo or all animal products in the case of veganism, seems to be detrimental.

I'm a big fan of moderation in all things

Do I think the American diet is FAR too reliant on grain and processed crap? YES ABSOLUTELY
Do I think we eat too much mass produced, factory farmed meat? UHM DUH

Should we completely cut out grain, beans and all meat products? mmmm NO.

Just one girls opinion..

Now, as I've mentioned before, I don't believe there is an end all be all diet (and I don't mean "I need to lose 60 pound by tomorrow diet" but rather lifestyle diet). Different things work for different people. My awesome sister-in-law and I have been debating/discussing the merits and detriments of the paleo diet, as she and my brother have been experimenting.

The one thing I can get behind in paleo (and in most lifestyle diets, for that matter), is the incorporation of more vegetables, fruit and elimination of processed items with ingredients you can't even pronounce. I figure if one of my little nephews can't read it, I shouldn't eat it.

But, I'm sorry the point of all this (there is one I promise), is that I will be putting most of my skepticism aside and challenging myself to eat a mostly paleo diet for the six week challenge. I say mostly because, I sure as hell am not eating cows or pigs or chickens, just fish (Please make a fish face at this point like I did) and eggs. Things may get boring, but I'm a creative type.

I'll be posting recipes (I will mark veg friendly ones with a V), thoughts, rants, raves and anything else I may feel like sharing.



No comments:

Post a Comment