Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Extra-flexble vegan: a journey?


The holiday season wouldn't be complete without a flu bug or two...

Those that know me well, know that I have a lazy immune system, awesome right. However I finally got a bug that stumped the doctors this summer-- flu symptoms but no real bug. I went through doctor appt after doctor appt trying to figure out what the deal is but nothing would reveal itself.

This bug visited again to wish me a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Alas, it was not a bug that was torturing me, sadly it was my diet. After a couple doctor appts and consultations and an internal struggle or two... I have to abandon my vegan ways.

About 13 years ago, I stopped eating red meat of my own volition (or because my older sister did it and she was  is like the coolest ever). During the next ten years or so, I slowly reduced animal product intake until committing to a vegan diet 2.5 years ago.

Now because of diet induced gluten and soy sensitivity, and multiplying GI issues, I have to move away from veg and towards a pescatarianish diet. Translation-- no meat, no dairy, yes eggs, yes fish.

I am of the opinion that everyone's body needs a little something different to operate its best. Maybe its evolutionary or cultural, but we all process things differently and subscribing to the same diet across the board just wouldn't work. Not everyone can or should commit to the same vegan, or vegetarian, or paleo, or pickles-only or whatever diet. The most important consideration, in my humble opinion, is to know where my food comes from, how it is processed and how it plays into my own health.


So I hope people will be supportive of this shift. All the recipes I post here will still be 100% vegan, because they are oh so tasty and awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment