Tuesday, December 27, 2011

cranberry-lemon curd

It's crantastic!
Sweet, tangy and totally vegan.

My friend the suzz and I loooovveee lemon curd. Its true. In our kitchen crafting adventures....  we came across this recipe from Simple Sundays for this BEAUTIFUL cranberry curd. I had to find a vegan recipe for this bright crimson concoction.

There are plenty of vegan lemon curd recipes... but as I scoured the internet I was fairly turned off  by the presence of parsnips or soy creamer or silken tofu. Not that I am unwilling to work with these ingredients,. I've just been burned by such wild ingrediants before. I didnt want an interpertation of curd, I wanted a bright, tangy gelatinous mess of goodness. So I combined several recipes, props especially to vegansaurus; one for the awesome name and two, for the tip about starch.

In as little as 45 minutes ( with 95% of that being downtime...), I concocted a delightful cranberry lemon curd I look forward to using at just about every meal... I even got to use my new fancy shmancy immersion blender I got for Christmas. rockin it.

Cranberry Lemon Curd (Parsnip free)

  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 1 cup lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 4 TBLS Tapioca starch 
  • dash salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 3 TBLS vegetable oil


Place cranberries and boiling water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring whole mixture to a boil and allow cranberries to pop and cook down (about 10 minutes).

Place mesh strainer over a wide mouthed mixing bowl. Once cranberries and water are liquidy and mushy, remove from heat and pour mixture into the mesh strainer, pushing on the cranberry pulp with a wooden spoon or spatula. Be sure to scrape any puree off the underside of the strainer and into the bowl.

Pour strained cranberry juice into a large measuring glass, you should get roughly 1 1/4 cup  (or a little more) of liquid from the press. Stir in lemon juice. Pour cran lemon mixture back into the original sauce pan    

Add sugar, starch and salt. Using an immersion blender, blend mixture together until completely smooth. Turn heat to medium and bring mixture to a boil. As soon as it boils and thickens, stir in milk and oil until completely incorporated. Remove from heat.

Let curd cool to room temperature then pour into containers  and refrigerate!



No comments:

Post a Comment