Sunday, September 29, 2013

Its the great pumpkin!

I love fall. LOVE IT. 
Portland is in a major monsoon right now and I am giddily staring out the window, soul quenched from the sideways rain and wind beating against our sadly single paned windows. My roommate, who hails from the sunshineyland of Los Angeles, is less than impressed with the blustery, wet.
But I've fully embraced the season. Fires roaring, tea kettle whistling and the smell cinnamon, ginger and cloves wafting through the air, life is good.

Along with fall comes the great pumpkin kick. Decorations, pies, pastries, curries, charlie brown tv specials and dont get me started on that crack of a sauce starbucks uses....

PaleOmg has not helped this obsession--- she's been on what seems to be an equally aggressive pumpkin kick. Favorite thing she's posted so far is her Paleo Pumpkin Granola.

Holy Ballz. This stuff was DELIGHTFUL. My house smelled like Christmas for hours. 

I loosely followed her recipe, based on what I had in my cupboards, replacing the dates with raisins, pecans with cashews, etc. etc. 


Pumpkining continued last night along with the rain storm. I made a batch of paleo Pumpkin Banana Spice Cookies while Shane and Ted zoned in front of batman cartoons (my life has gotten weirdly domestic). 
The cookies were okay, shockingly had the Shane stamp of approval--- "Can I eat these when I'm being good (ie eating healthy)." They were far more like bites of banana bread than what I was expecting. I think next time, I'd replace the banana and use all pumpkin. They are also vegan, which is pretty cool for all my veg folks. 

Next up on the pumpkin list this week is this awesome pumpkin pudding from Grass Fed Girl . Its not vegan (good ol' gelatin), but I'm excited to try it out and perhaps top it with some of PaleOmg's delicious pumpkin granola. 


No comments:

Post a Comment