Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter candy



The Easter Bunny didn't make a conventional visit to the hodge house this year. The bunny is respecting that we are cutting back on sugar intake and instead of bringing treats, the bunny brought a beautiful sunny day (and allowed us to make a car payment and buy a bed) oh to be grown ups.

I cooked a ham for the first time ever and it turned out fabulously. The Domestic Man shared a fabulous honey and citrus ham glaze recipe that left my house smelling amazing and tummies full and happy.

After dinner, we were left wanting something sweet.... I mean... its easter where are my robin's eggs, jelly beans, chocolate rabbit??? I've been focusing on eliminating that way of thinking, associating food with emotion or eating something because its tradition. I like to make concious decisions of what I consume.

But I consciously decidedly that I wanted some effing chocolate.

Instead of rummaging through the treat door for some packaged, crap filled...crap... I decided to make my own crap candy. I like to know what I'm eating.

Thus chocolate sunbutter stars were born

Ingredients

1/4 cup coconut oil melted
1/4 cup coconut oil, solid
1/2 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsweetened sunbutter (I use homemade--its infintely cheaper than store bought)
1/4 cup (or less) honey


In a food processor, combine solid coconut oil, cocoa powder, sunbutter, and honey. Blend until smooth and even. Pour in melted coconut oil and stir just to combine. Don't overmix or it may separate.

Spoon mixture into silicone candy mold. I got mine at ikea, though I'm fairly certain it was intended as a disfunctional ice cube tray. You can also spoon into mini muffin liners.

Place in freezer for about ten minutes or until firm, then carefully pop out of mold. Store in fridge or freezer.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment