Thursday, March 15, 2012

When you fall off the wagon, it may also run you over.

Ouch.

So. I just returned from a whirlwind work trip to Seattle. While, I managed to plan meals for 35 hungry college students with a variety of food allergies, I most definitely left myself out of that equation. whoops.

Sometimes I try to convince myself that my own food sensitivities are all in my head. Unfortunately, my stomach begs to differ. So when my meals consisted of quad tall soy lattes, the occasional bagel with light cream cheese and a beer (or 2) for dessert, my stomach would be so kind as to sucker punch me as a reminder that coffee does not a breakfast make, dairy is not my friend and I really shouldn't hang out with those gluten kids so much.

My body is kind of angry.

So my return home this week to my little safe-haven of a kitchen has been delightful. I took Tuesday off as a recovery day (You spend the weekend chaperoning a choir trip and see if you make it into work the next day...)
With this free day, I took my time getting out of bed, making breakfast, walking the dog, showering, doing dishes,really  doing anything productive  but with laziness came greatness in breakfast form.
Savory pumpkin pancakes, baked kale, and peppered turkey bacon.

The pumpkin pancakes are inspired by another recipe on interwebs, that I have lost.  So no this is not my original work, but yes I made it better. BAM. These are not by any means sweet, but they'd be delicious with honey or maple syrup. I just like how pumpkinny they are.
I threw some kale in the oven while making these pancakes and that made everything all the better.


Savory Pumpkin Pancakes (GF, Paleo-esque)



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (make sure it's NOT pie filling)
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 tbls coconut milk
  • 1 tbl oil (coconut if you have it, I used olive because thats what my pantry gave me.)
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp honey (optional)

In a small bowl, sift together coconut flour, baking soda, salt and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, coconut milk, pumpkin puree and vinegar till smooth. Add dry to wet, stirring well to fully incorporate. 

Spray a lovely skillet with some non-stick spray or oil and preheat over medium heat. 

Pour a quarter cup of batter into hot skillet. The batter is pretty thick, so  you'll have to use a spatula to spread the batter into a thin circle. These also don't bubble like normal pancakes, so watch carefully and flip over when the the edges start to brown. It takes 1-2 minutes per side, depending on thickness. 




Serve with greens and some ghee on top :)





No comments:

Post a Comment